Oil Pulling, the Efficient and Natural Way to Up Your Oral Care
Oral care is one of the most important hygienic concerns that all of us want to pay thorough attention to. Having a good oral care regime can benefit us by boosting our confidence, our self-esteem and most especially our own health. There are so many ways to care for your mouth, gums and teeth. But most of them would require expensive treatments, products and procedures. That is why most of us try to look for more cost-effective yet inexpensive ways to care for our mouth.
Nowadays, oral oil pulling is starting to become more accepted and known because of its easy yet effective method and healthy outcome. If you have not yet heard of this particular oral procedure, then read along and we will give you a quick crash course from what it is to what you can expect from it and everything in between.
Pulling all the Stops for Oil Pulling
Considered as one of the best ways to clear your mouth from bacteria, promote teeth care and healthy gums, oil pulling has now become a fast paced trend in the dental world. Adding this to your usual routine of brushing and flossing, you can now experience and feel the “cleanliness” of your mouth that has been taken to another healthier level. You are probably wondering how oil pulling became such a “talk about thing”. Let us break down all there is to know about this method.
Let’s Start from the Roots
Originally performed through Ayurvede Medicine rooted in India thousands of years ago, oil pulling (or “gundusha”) is the act of swishing oil in your mouth for a required amount of time. This is done to promote better oral health care. It also improves one’s overall health status. It functions as a detoxifier for oral toxins and also a cleanser for your oral health. Oil pulling provides you with overall mouth care including your teeth, gums, inner cheeks, jaws and even facial skin.
This method was so effective that a medical doctor by the name of Dr. F. Karach has accepted this technique, studied it and brought it to the United States during the early 1900. Since then, it was used as an addition to a person’s usual oral hygiene routine.
How it Works
Oil pulling is a very simple, straight to the point and basically an easy method to follow. All you need is your desired oil, warm water (or warm water with salt) and a trash bin and you are all set to go. This method is best done first thing in the morning once you wake up and before you can eat or drink anything. For best result, repeat this method three to four times a week, once a day.
Steps to Making the Right Oil Pulling Experience
Here are the 5 simple steps you need to do to properly perform oil pulling:
- Place 1 to 2 teaspoonful of oil into your mouth
- Swirl it around your mouth for 20 minutes.
- Swirl it using a slow and steady manner so you won’t accidentally ingest it.
- If 20 minutes is too much for you, start slow and with minimal time and work your way up to 20 miuntes.
- Timing for this method is everything. The 20 minutes will allow enough time for the oil to break through the plaque and bacteria but not long enough to be re-absorbed by the body.
- Take note that the consistency and amount of the oil will differ as you finish your swirling. It will turn into a milky and thick mixture due to your saliva and other toxins accumulated in it.
- Avoid swallowing it because it contains dirt and bacteria that you would not want to ingest.
- Spit it out into a trash bin and not in the drain.
- Expect to spit out whitish thick oil due to the collection of saliva, bacteria, plaque, puss and dead cells.
- Do not spit it out in the drain because it will clog it once it turns solid due to cold temperature.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly
- Warm water works best for clearing your mouth from oil.
- Rinse a few times until the oil is gone.
- Also try to add salt in your water for a more effective rinsing.
- Brush your teeth the normal way.
What Oil to Use
The type of oil used is very critical due to that fact that it can either make or break your oil pulling experience. Here are some tips that can help you choose the best oil for your oil pulling experience.
- Make sure to use unrefined oil to ensure that it is all natural and that there are no other additional preservatives or additives.
- Ensure that the oil you will use is safe enough that you can consume it, a basically oil that is “healthy when eaten”.
- Avoid using oils having high Omeag-6 fatty acids or chemically created oils like:
- Vegetable Oil
- Canola Oil
- Soybean Oil
- Try to focus on using one of these three Ayurveda approved oils
1. Sesame Oil
Most sources recommend sesame oil. This is due to the fact that sesame oil is more widely available as compared to the other oil suggestions. It is also the safest oil to use, with the assurance that the user is not allergic to sesame seed.
2. Olive Oil
Another alternative for sesame oil is the olive oil. Though not as much popular as the previous choice due to its thickness and harshness towards the teeth.
3. Coconut Oil
The coconut oil is probably the next choice after sesame oil but the best option (as argued by most users and research alike). The reason for this is because of its potent contents and positive effect toward ones health. Remember that swishing the oil in your mouth can also be a means for its content to be absorbed by your body. Since the mouth is a very viable place to absorb nutrients, vitamins and minerals, you can expect that absorbing coconut oil can benefit you and your health greatly. Among these health benefits includes the following:
- Aids in digestion
- Balances your hormones
- Moisturizes skin
- Reduces cellulites
- Decreases wrinkles, skin aging and age spots
- Balances blood sugar
- Improves your energy
- Increases HDL and lowers LDL Cholesterol
- Burns fats
What It Can Treat
Another great thing about oil pulling is that it does not only treat oral health issues but it can also aid our health in a holistic level. Remember that our mouth is very potent when it comes to absorbing nutrients and minerals regardless of what we consume. Think of it as giving your body a quick “oil change” to make your whole body remove unwanted toxins. Here are some health benefits that we can get from oil pulling.
- Tooth problems (decay, staining, tartar formation and the likes)
- Prevents Bad Breath
- Cures Gum Bleeding
- Whitens Teeth
- Prevents Cavities
- Soothes Dry Throat
- Heals Cracked Lips
- Strengthens Gums and Jaws
- Prevents Heart Diseases
- Reduces Inflammation
- Boosts Immune System
- Treats Acne
How We Benefit From it
Nothing is more convincing that hearing the benefits from specialists and this goes the same with oil pulling. Luckily, there have been numerous studies and researches that prove its effectiveness and here are just some of them:
- The most natural and effective solution in preventing tooth decay and even tooth loss. Oil pulling is able to cure more than 30 systemic diseases due to its “preventive and curative healing method”. This particular method causes a purification of the entire bodily system. It is due to the connection of our tongue to different vital organs like the kidneys, lungs, heath and many more. This is according to the “Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine
- Another research made by the Department of Pediatric Dentistry in Tamil Nadu, India has also seen its health benefits for their pediatric patients. Doing this method reduces the risk of having Streptoccocus mutans bacteria formation, which is a major contributor for tooth decay.
- The researchers from the Department of Pediatric Dentistry in Chennai, India have also made a conclusion that oil pulling causes significant positive effects on their pediatric patients. They were able to report that it can reduce aerobic microorganisms in plaque-induced gingivitis. They we also able to record that its effect is as potent as using mouthwash when dealing with improving bath breath and reducing the microorganisms that causes it.
- A published research found in the Nigerian Medical Journal had proved that using coconut oil for oil pulling can greatly decrease the possibility of plaque formation due to its lauric acid content.
Is it Safe for Everyone?
This is probably the make or break question that is running around your head as you read through everything there is to know about oil pulling. Of course, a new method is very mind boggling and scary if you know nothing about it but you would want to try it out. So here is your answer, yes, oil pulling is essentially safe because of several good reasons. First is that the oil you will use is natural without any unwanted chemicals mixed in it. Next is that each oil you will use has its additional health benefits. Third is that since your oil is good to eat, it is not harmful to your body. The only exclusion for this rule is for kids who are still young and are unable to swirl the oil or prevent it from being ingested.
Nothing beats going all natural when it comes to health and care for your body. Who knew that you can use oil as an oral care remedy? It truly is amazing when you get to learn what certain products can give you aside from its original purpose. Try the oil pulling method yourself and see how much difference it can bring to your oral health care and overall health as well.